Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Purple Candle

During my internship year, I worked at a wonderful school for children with special needs. I truly loved it there, and kids being kids, some funny stuff went on there.

On this particular day, I accompanied the Middle School to their monthly outdoor education outing. I was to act as an aide to my very favorite child, who would happen to wander off if someone wasn't with him. This boy always had random crap in his pockets... seriously, it was like Mary Poppins unpacking her carpet bag. His pockets never looked as though there was anything in them, but lo and behold... while in the craft lodge, he began to take his stuff out.

Out came an ornament made the previous year, plastic prize bubbles (the ones you get from the machines at the grocery store for $0.50) containing pieces of "bling", some other doodads, fuzz, and... an 8 inch purple candle that they had also made in previous years. Not only was I shocked that this could ALL fit into his pockets without there being ANY outward appearance whatsoever, but it struck me as hilarious that he decided to bring a purple candle.

As the purple candle was set on the table, I saw that it had a wide base... and almost looked like an item one might find in an adult toy shop. So, I said to Mr. Steve... "Hey, what is that?"

Another student replied by saying, "Heh, you know what that is! You wanna sit on it and go, 'uuhhh' !!"

And what did I do? I turned my back and laughed. Sometimes, no matter how prepared you are, kids say the darndest things.

1 comment:

  1. Oi. Parabéns pelo excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração

    ReplyDelete